Monday, August 20, 2007

My Cancer's Back and There's Gonna Be Trouble (hey la, hey la, my cancer's back)


Just when things were growing quiet here at the ol' blog, I'm sorry to report that a suspicious lump has appeared in my neck. I noticed it a week ago Sunday and was in to see Dr. Irish the following Wednesday. He immediately took a sample to biopsy, booked me for a CT scan (the evening of August 22), and had me sign the consent forms for more surgery.

Although Dr. Irish can't confirm the lump is cancerous until the biopsy results come in, its location is exactly where they'd expect any previously undetectable microscopic cancer cells to have grown. Treatment will be more surgery (less invasive than the tongue procedure, but with a longer hospital stay of two or more days) and likely radiation therapy. I'll be reuniting with radiation oncologist Dr. O'Sullivan soon.

I was hoping for the biopsy results today, but I just received a call requesting I come in for a second biopsy -- the nurse didn't have any information as to the need for a second. So, it's back to Dr. Irish's office tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for more news.

I swear this isn't a ratings grab. (Don't forget to cast your vote for "But I'm an Aries" at the 2007 Weblog Awards.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home