Sunday, September 07, 2008

End-of-Summer Shenanigans - Part 2

And we’re back with more highlights from the end of summer 2008. When last we left our intrepid hero, he had just escaped the clutches of the evil Darth Vader and his nefarious henchman Boba Fett.

After returning from a galaxy far, far away, driving two hours north of Toronto was a pleasure – especially when it meant spending time with some dear friends. Chad, Janice, and their new baby Eric had traveled from Vancouver to Penetanguishene to stay with Chad’s mom and step-dad, who were kind enough to also invite us for a weekend.


Such gracious hosts were they (Chad’s mom knew of my love for cold soups and made vichyssoise) that I don’t know who was more coddled, us or baby Eric. Okay, Eric wins. But nobody could resist the little guy and the proud parents made sure everyone got a turn with him.



Never ones to miss a photo opportunity, Eric and I had pre-arranged to wear matching-coloured shirts.



When not showing off his son, Chad also proudly passed around his new iPod Touch. It was neat, but Eric definitely stole the show (even if I couldn’t check my e-mail on him). It was a relaxing visit in a peaceful setting.

As much as we were enjoying ourselves, we didn’t have time to linger. The next day we headed back to the city with a stopover in the town of Erin for dinner with our friends Alanna, Tim, and Max. We had invited Alanna, who teaches high school drama, to crash with us that week while she was taking a video production and editing course in Toronto. And so after dinner, we returned to Hogtown.

A short night’s sleep later I was on the road again. It was time for the second annual Father-Son Getaway! This year we decided to keep costs down by staying closer to home. We used Mom and Dad’s place (in Ayr) as our base camp and then spent one day in Niagara-on-the-Lake and the following day in Stratford. The weather was on our side and we enjoyed lunch the first day on the deck of The VIEW restaurant at EastDell Estates winery looking across Lake Ontario at the Toronto skyline.



After lunch we browsed some galleries and then worked up a new appetite walking the main street before a fabulous dinner at the Prince of Wales Hotel. After dinner we took in a production of Anne-Marie MacDonald’s play Bell Moral: A Natural History. Fortunately it was captivating enough to compete with a belly full of food and wine and I was rapt throughout. (The Shaw Festival has my permission to quote me on the poster). As an added bonus, after the show the stage director and main actors Fiona Byrne and Jeff Meadows stuck around for some Q & A. with the audience. Fascinating stuff!

Day two saw us off to Stratford for lunch at Fellini’s and an amazing dinner at The Old Prune. In between we visited another gallery and then had a long stroll and a good chat along the Avon River. That night’s theatre outing was the highlight of an already incredible couple of days: Hamlet. I have never seen Hamlet on the stage, but I found Ben Carlson’s portrayal of the dour Dane completely electrifying. Spoiler alert: most of the main characters die at the end. But that’s a rather downer way to end the fabulous second annual Father-Son Getaway, so let’s instead say it was the touching story of a young prince who loves his dad like crazy.



Before heading back to Toronto the following day, the core Wichman clan took advantage of our all being together and enjoyed a family lunch.



I can think of no better way to wrap up the summer before my next big adventure: going back to school.

And that adventure begins tomorrow morning, when I start my first of four six-week practicum placements in the Toronto District School Board. As of 9:00 AM I’ll be in a grade 3 classroom at a school in the downtown neighbourhood known as Cabbagetown.



In the afternoon, I’ll zip over to U of T for my first lecture. Stay tuned for my adventures in the Canadian education system.

1 Comments:

At September 10, 2008 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear David, I guess it means you're a good writer, when each time I read one of your entries,I laugh, shed a tear or sometimes both!Keep it up...better than most of the stuff I've read lately. Best of luck with the journey in becoming a teacher.You'll make an amazing teacher.
Martina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home