Thursday, May 01, 2008

Back to School

It's official: I'm headed back to school. Graduate school and elementary school.

After six amazing years in publishing, I have decided to return to my original career plan and become a teacher. To that end, I have been accepted to *deep breath* the Institute of Child Studies' two-year Master of Arts in Child Study and Education Program in the Department of Human Development and Applied Psychology at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto. Or ICSMACSEPDHDAPOISEUT for short. At the end of the program I'll have earned both a Masters degree and teacher certification for primary grades (kindergarten to grade 6).

My decision to change careers has not been an easy one to make. Publishing has been incredibly rewarding and continues to be an amazing creative challenge. I will especially miss the wonderful people with whom I've have the pleasure of working these past six years. Despite all these positives, my recent tango with cancer resulted in some major soul-searching. I realized that as much as I enjoy editing books for kids, I have always missed working with children directly. Also, Jeanette and I decided we should no longer delay our plans to set down roots outside of the city and a teaching career offers better opportunities for moving to more affordable pastures.

I'll be working until mid-August. The program begins in September, so if all goes well I will be certified to teach by 2010. The year we make contact... (with earning a salary again.)

2 Comments:

At May 06, 2008 9:17 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Congratulations on your new career path!

 
At May 06, 2008 10:27 AM, Blogger alicia said...

hooray for affordable pastures! congrats david! and don't forget to teach those kids how to go to eleven...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home