Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ave Maria (and Let's Hear It for Grades 5 & 6 Too!)

This morning I had a quick check-up with Dr. O'Sullivan. We were both pleased to report that everything looks and feels fine. Huzzah to that, I say! My next appointment isn't until January.

While I was waiting to see the good doctor, I chatted with a hospital volunteer named Maria. She too is an oral cancer survivor and, like me, had part of her tongue removed. Unlike me, however, her surgery significantly affected her speech. She was impressed that I'd undergone similar treatment but was left with so few obvious side effects. Maria now volunteers at the Princess Margaret Hospital's head and neck clinic, answering questions for cancer patients who are dealing with treatment, as I was at this time last year. It never hurts to have a reminder of how well I have fared in this whole business, and to meet people who have faced even more daunting challenges and overcome them with dignity and grace. Ave Maria, indeed.

And speaking of meeting inspirational people, I have officially received my next practicum placement and it is indeed in a Kindergarten... in the nearby neighborhood of Lawrence Park! One of my fellow student-teachers was there for her first placement, and she raves about the children, their teacher, and even the grade 2 teacher down the hall (I'm told I absolutely have to meet him). I can hardly wait! Monday will be my first day.

Meanwhile, this week was a break from practicum, with the exception of Tuesday morning when I observed a grade 5/6 class at the Institute for Child Study’s Laboratory School. Even though I was only watching, I had an amazing time.

First of all, the school is an old (and huge) Toronto house. You may recall that Annick's offices are also in an old house (though not nearly as big). Such environments are full of character that I believe encourages creativity. I’m a sucker for character and creativity both.



Second, as the term "Lab School" suggests, this is a place where the latest theories of education (the kind I’m reading about daily in my textbooks) are put to the test. It's very exciting to see such innovations in action. For example, the school believes in immersing students deeply in a subject. Right now, this class is in the middle of a multi-disciplinary study of space, which means the classroom is adorned with student artwork of planets, the bay-window sill displays books on all aspects of space (from astronomy to mythology), and the students are editing their own creative creation myths about the origins of the universe.

Third, grade 5 and 6 students are definitely the age group with whom I'm most keen to work. Although my interactions with the students yesterday were limited, I felt very comfortable with them.



Fourth, the classroom's permanent library of books is amazing! My personal litmus test is always whether or not a collection includes my beloved Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt. Not only did the classroom have that and several other titles in the Tillerman family cycle, but no less than nine of her novels! Homecoming, indeed.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home