Friday, December 22, 2006

The Skinny on the Surgery

This morning Jeanette and I headed down to Toronto General Hospital for my pre-op assessment. After the usual blood taking, height checking, and weight weighing, a kindly nurse named Catherine Barrow walked us through what to expect with the surgery. Here are the highlights:
  • The morning of, I'll be able to have a soft breakfast and juice -- just nothing after 8:30 AM.

  • The procedure will be at TGH, not PMH.

  • The surgery itself should take no more than 60 minutes, during which my groupies can chill in the green room

  • After, I'll be spending the night in the hospital so they can watch for swelling and keep me hooked up to fluids and painkillers.

  • Once I can manage to drink on my own, they'll send me home with oral painkillers.

We also received a patient information booklet with all sorts of handy information, from where to park to what to wear. It's like having my very own life coach! Okay, not really.

Thanks again to everyone for all the supportive comments and e-mails. I hope everyone has a very merry holidays and a Happy New Year!

5 Comments:

At December 30, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Selene said...

Hey David,

I hope you are ingesting all the yummist foods you can cram in without puking on the Christmas tree this holiday season.

A Happy & Healthy New Year to You, with Speedy Recovery!

Selene

 
At December 30, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Selene said...

Yummist. Hmmm.

 
At January 06, 2007 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David, thinking of you on this the feast of the Ephipany{Jan.6th}. I know it has something to do with the arrival of the wise men. Legend has it that one was a surgeon and at least 2 were irish! So, I'd say we're off to a good start.
So, there's my little bit of info to start of the new year and No, unlike some other irish I have not been drinking since Christmas.
Love,Martina

 
At January 07, 2007 1:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 07, 2007 1:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi David,

Hope you have a smooth recovery in 2007!

Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home