Sunday, September 09, 2007

A Cutthroat Business



I am home!

As Jeanette posted previously, my neck dissection was a success. Although the scar immediately after surgery was a horrific sight to behold (see above), amaziningly I experienced no pain. Instead, there is a tightness in my neck, rather like the feeling of wearing a t-shrit that's tucked in too far. The stiffness and the intensity of the scar will fade in a few weeks (so much for my surefire Halloween costume), and the only other side effects are a loss of feeling in my right ear and neck, which may or may not return. Not a big deal. My major concern was the risk to my mouth, arm, and head movement; fortunately, Dr. Irish and Dr. Bachar were able to preserve 95% of my muscle tissue and those areas haven't been affected at all. All good news!

The three-day stay at Toronto General Hospital was to allow the excess fluid resulting from the removed tissue to drain out of my body. Two tubes sutured to my chest led to a device the size of a briefcase that had a plastic window to measure the accumulation of the thick red fluid. It was kind of like the tote board at a fundraiser but without the phone pledges. Lucky for me, I had plenty of visitors who brought me reading material over those three days. I don't reccomend watching chest fluid accumulate as a fun way to pass the time.

My thanks to all for your support and words of encouragment, to my Mom and Jeanette for waiting through hours of surgery to be by my side for my groggy awakening, to my friends and family who were able to visit, and to Dr. Irish, Dr. Bachar, Cheryl, Mahadai, Ginette, and the rest of the staff at Toronto General who took care of me.

I'll remain home all this taking it easy. Radiation treatment will begin in about four weeks' time.

It's good to be home!

7 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 7:14 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, that is quite a scar! Maybe when total strangers ask about it, you can just tell them you got into a bar fight. Glad everything went well!

 
At September 11, 2007 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David!

Colleen passed along your blog to me. I'm so happy to hear that your surgery was a success and that you're recovering nicely. Great blog by the way. High five'n ya the next time we meet;) best wishes,

Irvin.

 
At September 12, 2007 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes from us all at Firefly Books - hope you are back at the helm to finish up catalogue season!
Trina.

 
At October 05, 2008 12:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi David!

Well i have to thank you so very much for posting your story.You are a Godsend!My husband is going through EXACTLY (to the tee) the identical situation.He started out with cancer of the toungue(we thought it was a canker)he had it biopsied and the cancer was removed,now three weeks later,his lymph nodes started to swell and it came back positive.We are awating a call at any time to have the lymph nodes removed from his neck.Now he will know what the normal is as he is recovering.He will also have radiation 4-6 weeks after the scar heals.My thoughts and prayer are with you and my hubby.
My sister-in law found your article and sent it to be(God bless her)
Thanks again so much!
valerie (dutchess@syd.eastlink.ca)

 
At March 03, 2009 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog. I went through the same thing in 2003. Mine was stage IV. I breezed through the surgery, but radiation was a different matter. There wasn't time to let the scar heal before beginning. However, I made it through!!! I am a six year survivor. All things are possible with God. My prayers are with you.
best wishes,
Becky

 
At November 26, 2009 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Hope your feeling much better now; your blog has been inspiring to me, thank you. I have the same issue as your good self, having accidentally discovered a swelling on the left side of my neck. They’ve done all the tests and the result is still inconclusive, so I have been advised to have a selective neck dissection before Christmas. I am/was absolutely terrified at the thought of undergoing an operation under general anaesthetic, suppose I’ll just have to grit my teeth and get on with it – reading your blog has helped calm my anxieties. I’ll let you know how things go.

Best regards,

Dan.

 
At December 13, 2009 8:30 AM, Blogger edoode said...

Hello Again,

I recently underwent a selective neck dissection in Sunderland Royal Hospital - prior to surgery I was petrified at the thought of having to have this operation. Now that it's over with the worst thing about the experiance was developing constipation whilst in hospital - more painful than neck dissection surgery. So if it needs doing just-do-it, concentrate on keeping your bowels in working order.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home