Monday, September 17, 2007

That's Good! That's Bad!


Today's post-op appointment with Dr. Irish was full of good and bad. The pathology report wasn't in yet, which was bad, but he was able to get us in to see radiation oncologist Dr. O'Sullivan which was good.

But without the pathology report, Dr. O'Sullivan could only talk about all possible results and corresponding treatments, and that was bad. You see, if the pathology report shows that the cancer was extracapsular (i.e. spread beyond the lymph nodes), then I'll be undergoing chemotherapy simultaneously with my six weeks of radiation, which itself will be at a higher dose and on both sides of my neck (though only halfway up the left side to preserve my salivary gland). If the cancer wasn't extracapsular, then the radiation will be a lower dose on just the right side of my neck, which is, well, not good, but better.

As for the tongue, Dr. O'Sullivan will leave it to me as to whether it should also get zapped. Chances are low that the cancer would recur there, which is good, but chances were also low that the cancer would recur at all and it did, which is bad. If they radiate the tongue, there will be zero chance the cancer will recur there, which is good, but Dr. O'Sullivan reminded me again that a radiated tongue is "very unpleasant", which is bad.

I now have a new series of appointments to prep for treatment which is good, but it means missing more work, which is bad. My six weeks of treatment will begin in about three weeks time. That's good... right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home