Monday, January 21, 2008

Running on Empty

On Sunday morning I succeeded in going for a run for the first time since before my treatment started. And for the first time since I started jogging almost nine years ago, I was unable to finish my entire route (and my usual route is rather short). I managed about two blocks before I had to slow to a walk and catch my breath. I continued alternating running and walking until I completed a loop equivalent to half my route and spent the rest of the day recovering on the couch. Today the sore muscles have set in and I'm moving about like an old man with arthritis. Ah, fitness.

Of course, none of this comes as a surprise. Resuming jogging after a four month hiatus would be a challenge at the best of times, let alone after what my body has been through. So, I'm focusing on the fact that this is simply a beginning. Here's hoping it's not the beginning of a permanent charley horse.

1 Comments:

At February 04, 2008 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David - How about a fast walk for pete's sake! Then you won't miss any great places to stop for a treat!
Cath F

 

Post a Comment

<< Home