Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Skater and the Sideliner

It seems that I'm destined for the sidelines. About 24 hours prior to my skating date with Alfredo, a muscle seized in my chest and it made putting my boots on a major challenge, let alone pulling on a pair of skates. Although ice is recommended for muscle pain -- and no doubt my chest would be touching the ice more than my skates -- I decided it safest to leave my skates at home on Saturday. Ah, my dilapidated body.
.
Alfredo was disappointed that I didn't join him on the ice, but after a few laps zipping around the rink at Mel Lastman Square, he was all smiles.
.
It was a beautiful, sunny day, and I had a fine time on the sidelines snapping pictures, chatting with the other land-lubbers, and cheering on Alfredo. Considering that this was only his second time on skates, he did remarkably well and stayed on his feet most of the time. My lack of skating skills prevented me from offering any advice for improvement, but a kindly Big Sister took him under her wing and offered some tips on how to turn his ice-trotting into more of a glide.

Between Alfredo's hour-long skating sessions, we took breaks to check out the other activities arranged by Big Brothers, including a pizza lunch, a scavenger hunt, a martial arts demonstration, and a couple of clowns making balloon animals. Alfredo scored their last creation of the day -- an impressively complex balloon version of Spider-Man.


On the bus ride home, we both enjoyed that pleasant dozy feeling that comes after a busy day of outdoor winter fun. I've promised Alfredo that we'll hit the rink again just the two of us before the skating season ends (assuming the warranty doesn't expire on yet another part of my body).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home